A page of Tadley and District History Society (TADS) and local history news. The aim is to highlight new items on this page, with old items being archived for future reference.
The Society's membership is kept informed via its monthly newsletter. This has been published, in various formats, since the very early days of TADS and has proved to be an excellent means of communicating with the membership.
The newsletter's current A5 format is both successful and flexible - should there be more news or information than can fit in the usual four pages, extra ones can easily be added.
Both printed and electronic formats are published; copies of back issues may be accessed here.
If you have anything you wish to be considered for inclusion in future issues of the newsletter, please contact the editor Richard Brown (details on the 'Contact us' page).
Lost Medieval village of Tadley -
Tadley is designated in the National Monuments Record (England), now known as English Heritage Archive and the Archaeology and Historic Buildings Record as a 'Deserted Mediaeval Village'. The parish church of St Peter's stands alone amongst the fields, with most of modern Tadley (post 1600), now a town, situated about a mile to the east. One of Tadley and District History Society's (TADS) projects is to discover the exact whereabouts of the original village.
Evidence gathered by TADS so far includes a state paper that mentions the demolishing of a church house and other houses in 1636, archaeological records of a 'spread of mediaeval activity' noted during cable work, aerial photographs of the surrounding fields taken from aircraft and a mobile mast, and a preliminary field walk of a copse behind the church to look for clues of habitation.
Photographs indicate a possible field system adjacent to Tadley Place and a 'linear feature' across a field between St Peter's Church and Tadley Place. It seems logical that the original houses would have been dotted around the vicinity of the church and manor. However, the precise location of any mediaeval buildings has yet to be discovered. It now seems that archaeological techniques, such as field walking, and the use of specialist techniques, such as geophysics, will be the only way of gaining further evidence for the location of the lost village.
TADS is very keen to assist in locating the original site of Tadley village and would love to hear from anyone who would like to join the project and help organise the archaeological activities. TADS members will be able to lend a helping hand. Perhaps it would be a suitable project for a student in archaeology or history? It is possible that any finds would not be just mediaeval but from other periods as well (for example, the Portway Roman road crosses the field opposite St Peter's Church).
Jimmy Thatcher - local photographer
The photographs displayed here were taken by photographer James 'Jimmy' Thatcher (1851- 1941) who lived the latter part of his life in New Road, Tadley. Assisted by one of his daughters, Amelia, he toured the lanes with his tripod strapped to the crossbar and the camera on the carrier of his bicycle capturing daily life in and around Tadley.
A local resident, Les Hawkins is a collector of local photographs and is particularly interested in those taken by Thatcher. He has asked TADS help in identifying the location and if possible, those persons posing for the photographer. If you are able to help identify any of these photographs please either contact Les directly (firstname.lastname@example.org) or via TADS (email@example.com).
Jimmy Thatcher photo 001.
Jimmy Thatcher photo 002.
Jimmy Thatcher photo 003.
Jimmy Thatcher photo 005.
Jimmy Thatcher photo 006.
Jimmy Thatcher photo 007.
Some recent articles from this page have been moved to the Memories page:
Page updated: Wednesday 1 February 2017.
Review date: 31 June 2017.